Sunday, March 20, 2005

I agree with her

So, this post is a bit like the one just below. It's true - Thailand has just become interesting, now we're about finished here - we've hung around long enough at our guesthouse to have begun to be more-than-just-tourists to the family who work there, and they invited us out to the countryside with them yesterday - we got to sit and eat home cooking amongst the longan orchards, and then go bamboo rafting. This last is a standard tourist activity, but we got to do it with Thais - much more fun. We saw some sedate rafts of tourists - our two rafts were engaged in an on-off battle of getting everybody wet and preferably knocking them into the water, for the whole 90 minutes, joined in with by various Thai complete strangers we passed along the way. Then back to the guest house to change, and to take various young people out for pizza and ice-cream. And today we've been bowling with some of the same people: photos will appear in due course.

Now I like this place - and not mainly for ice-cream and bowling. I think we've relaxed into the culture just enough to be able to be relaxedly friendly with people - we've been shopping for my sister-in-law's shop while we've been here, and I think I'll have to use that as an excuse to come back here in April sometime, when they have a whole three-day festival devoted to chucking water at each other and laughing a lot.

The other thing I've been really enjoying is yoga. I've never properly warmed to yoga before - been to classes a few times, sure it's a good thing, but it always seemed just a little ... po-faced? I've been to five classes in the last week at the Yoga Studio with a guy called Adam who is fun, stretching, but also very good at offering alternatives for those of us with tight bits, and encouraging people to use the various bits of padding and support that are available. I like it.

Yesterday was the first anniversary of my gran's death - she practised yoga for many years and it was a real shame when she could no longer get out to classes - it was good to be able to go to a yoga class myself, and think of her.

- Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am certain that Biddy would be very glad to hear of you enjoing your yoga. Tilly and I spent yesterday in the garden planting tiny flowers and putting up bird boxes for the birds to build their homes this spring. I thought of Biddy so much and couldnt help but notice that for the first time all year the sky was blue, the birds sang and the sun beat down. I reckon Biddy is up there somewhere wishing all of that upon us.

Lots of love to all, Sasha and Tilly xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx