Saturday, June 18, 2005

Jamaica

Still not sure what to make of Jamaica. I think I expected it to be quite different, more developed than it is. It reminds me of Kenya in many ways, although it is more developed than that.

We've received a lovely warm welcome from Marva and Larry, who have gone out of their way to make sure we're comfortable. It's made a huge difference to our experience of Jamaica, to actually have Jamaicans to stay with, and to be in the heart of the country.

The seaside resorts are very different, as you can imagine, and it was fascinating for us to be in Ocho Rios. The hotel we stayed in seems to be used mostly by black tourists - Jamaican, Jamaican diaspora, and African Americans - and so its a bit different than some others would be. Every weekday a huge, and I mean huge, cruise ship comes in. When we arrived at Ocho Rios and saw the ship my eyes nearly popped out of my head - I've never seen or even imagined such a big ship. I've never fancied going on a cruise, but after seeing this monstrous beauty I feel a real curiosity to go and look around one, and maybe even to try it.

Anyway, every day one of these ships pulls in and disgorges hundreds, maybe thousands of passengers (mostly white USers judging by the sound and look of them) who swarm on shore, look around the shops, swim in the sea and whatever else in time to be back on board by five. Ocho Rios seems to survive on these cruise ships, certainly at this time of the year, as there weren't many tourists around in the evening - although there must be some to have kept us awake with loud karaoke till 2am one night!

- Heather

No comments: