Friday, October 15, 2004

Hooray for India - Heather's all excited

We're in India - hooray!!!!

Leaving China was sad because we were leaving our dear friends Hongwei and Yujin, who have been so kind to us. However, I was ready to come to a land with a culture, cuisine and language that I know and love. I hardly slept the night before we came and last night because I was so excited. The kids think its funny because I am so happy and bouncy and want to go out all of the time. It's such a contrast to the last time I was here 20 years ago - not sure what's changed, mostly me I think.

The kids weren't too impressed with our room last night - a bit grubby and run down, but today we have moved to nice hotel and are in a large, clean and comfortable family room - nice to be in together again. Everything is nearby and I am loving Mumbai - great food, shops, sea, people etc etc..... and it makes me feel close to my Indian friends - just wish some of you would come out and take us to the Gujarat - hint hint!!! (Although I have had it pointed out to me, quite rightly, that not all of my Indian friends are Gujaratis!)

I am also itching to get to Kerala and the beach - but at the moment I'm just so happy to be here - I feel so at home. Today we booked our train tickets for a 32 hour down to Kerala, leaving on Sunday, we can also get our Kenyan plane tickets much more cheaply here.

We took a boat trip to an island with temples and monkeys - fun but very hot. Then off to our favorite coffee bar, air conditioning, great latte, cakes etc, very cheap. Yesterday Melissa and I shopped until we dropped and bought loads of cheap clothes to wear - some better than others, tomorrow we are off in a taxi for the day for a sightseeing and shopping trip around Mumbai. Last night we took our Larium, no ill effects for any of us, but I slept very badly (for the 3rd night running), partly over excitement and exhaustion, partly fear of getting nightmares I think, everytime I nodded off and started to dream - I always dream a lot - I woke up with a start fearing that it would be a nightmare. Hopefully I can get a couple of good nights sleep before our mammoth train journey as I seem to be running on adrenaline at the moment.

Hope you are all well and happy too even though you don't have the sun and fine fun of India - lots of love - Heather

- Heather

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys
Oh i am sooo.. jealous. I really do wish I could join you, I would definatly have fun showing you my beautiful home town of Gujarat and believe me you would love it.I can almost imagine myself there with you, the sounds ,smells etc it feels like an opportunity lost and you know the "shoppin til your droppin" is just my kind of thing!
Awaiting more exciting news - love Sarah and especially Aneesa.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mate

Don't worry about nightmares - just think "khabi khusi khabi gum"

Just enjoy the energy!!

satixxx