Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Nearly a movie star ...

Sunday night, our hosts boundless kindness and concern caused me to miss a chance at movie immortality (sob!)

We were in the park after eating as usual, playing badminton, swirling pois around, being stared at and chatting with an older couple who spoke English, when a very trendy young man started talking to me. Seems he was a theatrical agent, and needed "a foreigner, about 38" for some filming on the Monday afternoon. The film is apparently being directed by some famous Chinese director, and Mr Agent was offering to drive me to the outskirts of Beijing for three hours extra-ing. Before he could get to any details, however, like what the film or the scene was about, and whether I was to be paid or not, Yujin and Hongwei leapt in to defend me, convinced he was a con-artist up to something. My new friend wasn't keen on being asked searching questions in a language he could speak well and left - saying I should call by midnight if still interested.

Was he a con-artist? His card led to a website of aspiring models and actresses - I couldn't figure out what kind of con he could be trying to pull, given that tourist-kidnapping isn't known as a Chinese sport. I think he probably was on the level and had been asked if he could find an extra or two. I would have loved to have seen the Chinese movie industry at work, and would have rung him - but by this time Rosa had become pretty worried about father-kidnapping, and really didn't want me to go.

So that was that. Ah, well, there's always Bollywood ...

- Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys

Great to hear that you have found a strategy in relation to the finances, but I must take issue about Bollywood, its a very serious issue being involved in anything that smacks of Bollywood as you well know!

Do you have sufficient costumes and more importantly can you deal with long term emotional trauma which could last years even when know one really knows what it all started about!! Please you are my friends think wisely about this!

Satixxx