Friday, November 12, 2004

Thoughts from Bangalore

Bangalore is a really 'modern' city - i.e. all of the trappings of Western capitalism that we are trying to get away from but are so addicted to. Just spent a very pleasant evening strolling around the Divali crowds with fireworks exploding everywhere with the children. We ate pizza, pepsi, popcorn, went into music shops and clothes shops, Melissa bought a new game for her gameboy (only 5 pounds for a new one - bargain!) and generally mingled with the well heeled of Bangalore - we could have been in Birmingham! Except of course that we had to avert our eyes from the beggars - children, mothers and babies, old people and disabled people - we've got quite good at it. We even feel used to it enough to give out the occasional rupee just like the well to do Indians do. We can buy Mars bars, bounties, pizza hut, KFC, Nike, reebok etc if we so chose. After shopping we are ending the evening with a couple of hours in the internet cafe, responding to emails, blogging and MSNing friends back home

It's all very nice but it occurred to me today - very acutely - that maybe we are missing something. I don't begrudge us a few days of comfort and of being tourists purely and simply but it was never my intension to go on a ten month holiday. It's hard when there are four people involved - all with very different ideas of what they want and what they feel that they want but decisions have to be made daily about what we will do and where we will go. Sometimes I think we take the line of least resistance - making sure that we all at least don't hate the idea of what we have planned. Occasionally we are able to split up a bit and do different things but many compromises have to be made by all.

Well I'll continue to ponder the question of how to make our trip meaningful, memorable and still stay fun - any suggestions? Temples and general sightseeing don't do much for many of us. The best bits for me have been making friends with different people and that's hard when you are moving a lot. Today we were debating what to do with our next 10 days before we have to be in Goa to meet Sati - I decided that I would like to get there soon and establish a base and start to get to know people and the place. Mark is really keen to go to Hampi - which does sound amazing and wonderful, but I'm not sure I have the stomach for more traveling just now - two more overnight trains to get there and back with our huge amount of luggage - groan. The children are undecided - watch this space for what we decide....

p.s Mark has been reading over my shoulder and trying to correct my spellings - which have never been my strong point, I've resisted most of his "helpful suggestions" so sorry if it's distracting for you!

- Heather

No comments: