Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Circumcised boys

Well, our invitation to a circumcision party hasn't materialised, but we saw our first recently circumcised boys on the way to Tabo for Christmas lunch:

Then, driving home from Kisumu the other day, we pulled over to look across a field at a crowd gathered around dancing circumcised Tirigi boys:

I was invited and encouraged to take photos by several men, once they'd checked it wouldn't be for profit. One guy was trying to make sure I got a good shot of his son when a very tall, angry-sounding man with a flat wooden blade of some kind came up suddenly, shouting, telling me I mustn't take photos and couldn't take my camera away with me. After a couple of minutes, and some placating noises from me, several other guys intervened and got the tall man to back down - I got the impression he was mainly hoping I'd offer him some money in order to get out of the situation.

Several men I hadn't previously spoken to made a point of coming up as we were leaving to apologise, and invite us to come again the next day. No harm done, and the pictures are nice, but it was scary when the big guy had my wrist held tightly and was shouting at me! New rule of travel: stay out of fields full of drunk men celebrating manhood.

- Mark

No comments: