Sunday, December 05, 2004

Last days in India

Can't believe that it's almost time to say goodbye to my beloved India! I read somewhere that people go through phases with India, first "I love everything about it", second, "Ok not everything about it is great" and third "I hate everything about it". Well if that's the case then I haven't yet moved out of the first phase. Of course there is a lot here that is not great - poverty/wealth, dirt, treatable diseases not being treated, over population etc etc - but somehow I find it reasurring to have those things out in the open and in our face. At home I am accutely aware of them anyway and hate the way that we are able to 'forget' that that is the way that the world is set up in England and that we are profitting from the system without having to face it. Here we are in no doubt at all how our comfort is at the expense of even the lives of others and I actually feel less burdened by it than I do at home where I think I feel that I have to keep reminding myself of it because noone else will. Hope this makes some sense!

Anyway for whatever the reason I really do love India and will be very sorry to leave. However, we have now bought the Kenya guide book and are really getting excited about Africa! Can you belive that we are actually going to Africa?! I have to keep pinching myself to check I'm not just in one long amazing dream! How lucky we are. We are all a little scared of Africa, mostly for me the heat and mosquitos. Since having the guide book the children have got less worried about the food - especially as Melissa has found out that not only has Nairobi got a "Nandos" (high excitement!!!) but that the Kenyans eat a lot of barbequed meat and that there is a lot of Indian food available.

So for our last days in Mumbai, we are back in consumer heaven. Last night we went to see "Vanity Fair" at the cinema - first cinema visit since leaving England and I miss it. Then we felt we had to try Indian MacDonalds at least once (not worth it!) and went to our favorite coffee bar. Today we are internetting, shopping, phoning and resting, tomorrow we will buy Malaria drugs and post some stuff home and we are leaving late tomorrow - actually at 3am Tuesday morning. Next blog from me will be from Africa!!!!! Lots of love to you all- Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am following your adventures with interest especially as my son (with guitar and diabolo) is also backpacking in the same area....Mumbai and surrounds... before he meets up with me in Sri Lanka just before Christmas. And he also has a blog http://www.sephwhy.blogspot.com/ .....with amazing photos of caves and temples carved into mountainsides! Africa next! I feel a bit cooped up here in Bangladesh, but my adventures start again in Sri Lanka and then the Sunderban Forest in the New Year. No blog for me, but I will email. And tell Rosa her beach photos are fab...she obviously has a steady hand! love Dave in Dhaka