Thursday, February 17, 2005

Jo joins the trippers

It is amazing - amazing to be with the family and amazing to be in Thailand. The family are great - well and very together, brilliant at planning and moving forwards, enjoying their experiences around the world, talking with the extra dimensions of people who have a wider world view, thinking creatively about the future. The girls are poised and relaxed, very good at relating to people and making conversation. (Except when engrossed in a book - they have both gobbled up new books I brought with me) It is a delight to be with them all.

As for Thailand, I am not well-travelled and I am finding it all astonishing and wonderful. The journey to Bangkok was effortless and I didn't have any problem with jet-lag - partly because I was so thrilled to see the folks, but it really didn't seem an issue for me. I loved Bangkok, smelly, noisy, busy, with street stalls everywhere preparing and selling food and garlands of flowers, markets day and night with anything you could desire and outlets for many desires you haven't thought of yet. We saw a puppet theatre on Mark's birthday after a fabulous meal, did too much shopping (irresistible), saw the Grand Palace and the temple of the Emerald Buddha (made of jade with 3 changes of clothes which are changed by the king for the rainy, hot and cool seasons), had a great Indian meal and sat 5 in a row having a foot massage (divine, lasted 50 minutes and included the leg and back).

After an epic journey - 9 hours on a train, lots of waiting, then a short bus journey and 3 hours on a boat - we are on the island of Ko Tao in a resort that is very lovely and very quiet because all the young folk are off celebrating a moon party, which goes on for days up until the full moon. The sea is shallow in our bay, and really warm, great for lolling in but your knees touch the bottom if you try to swim. More exploration needed. 'Our' cafe looks onto the beach and we can watch the light at sun set lolling on cushions and sipping delicious drinks. The Burmese waiter, missing his home, has adopted us as his family and calls me 'my mother'. It's all heavenly and I am mellowing out wonderfully

- Jo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi you all! Jo your description are so real I can shut my eyes and imagine. Most of all I would love to see you relaxed and enjoying it all but I guess I never will. Wonder what you had for the curry? And whats in those delicious drinks?
Its sunny this morning but bloody freezing with a very nasty east wind. Colder tomorrow with snow Monday and Tuesday. Fore warned be forarmed! They said last wekend that we would have sun and milder weather......Im still waiting.
Bought myself a fantastic couture type tweed coat for £20 at the charity shop, with one button at the neck and going to wide and swooshy at the hem. An art work.
The mimosa tree is flowering and probably started in January. I picked a bit and the furry bobbles have died down. I must get one to plant somehow. Plants are springing but it really is so cold and windy.
Off to rescue my laundry. Please do another mellow blog before you leave then I can print it off .
Lots of love to Mark-belated-happy-bday,Heather, Rosa-loved your blog please do more-Melissa,Im relying on you for shopping up dates as to what I could buy if I was there and Miss yo kisses,B

Anonymous said...

Hi Mum/Granny and all the rest of the travellers. Its Tilly and Sasha here. Great to read your blog - glad you got there safely and are having a fab time. Sasha is very jealous and wants to be there too! We are all well and missing you. Lots of love and have a swim in the sea for Tilly who was rocked to sleep there when she was one!
Lots of love xxxx